Yet another healthy baked breakfast. This savory muffin can be made ahead and stores well up to 3 days. Fresh corn kernels and chopped spinach adds flavor and nutrients to this golden muffin. Serve with creme fraiche.
Makes 12 muffins
½ cup All purpose flour
½ cup Whole wheat flour * can use chapati atta
1 cup Corn meal * can use makki atta
1 cup Fresh corn kernels, roughly chopped
1 cup Spinach, roughly chopped and packed tightly
1-2 Green chillies, minced * optional
1 Garlic, minced *optional
1 Egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups Milk
¼ cup Oil
4 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Baking powder
½ tsp Salt
Sesame seeds and black cumin seeds for sprinkling *Optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly grease and line the muffin pan.
- Sift flours, corn meal, sugar, salt and baking powder into a bowl. Combine egg, milk, oil, chilli, corn and spinach in another bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the doughy batter into the lined muffin pan. Sprinkle sesame seeds and black cumin seeds. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden and a skewer inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm.
- Keep in an air tight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat just before serving.
Egg substitute - For every egg in the recipe, use 1 tbsp flax seed meal (it’s called Alsi in Hindi) and 3 tbsp water. Whisk together and let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes. It will get gluey, just like eggs. Then the mixture can be incorporated into the recipe. No other adjustments needed in the recipe.
Variations – Add unpeeled grated zucchini and grated carrots instead of spinach or corn. Keep the amount same. This was suggested by someone who tried this variation. This recipe is very forgiving, you can mix match the veggies added. Enjoy!